Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Speed Bumps


SPEED BUMPS

A couple of months or so ago, some speed bumps were constructed on the main street of our subdivision, obviously to discourage people from speeding. Our community is a home to about 180 families with phase one and phase two separated by a park that is not usually frequented by children probably because they have enormous backyards for playground activities. The park is directly across from the gate of phase 1 and as the street from the entrance comes straight to the side of the park, it turns left and slopes down then continues on traversing the whole length of the subdivision before it turns left again to the last street where our house is located. This long road, called Tierra Santa, is where 3 speed bumps, complete with white arrows and letters to draw attention, are placed. Our streets are not particularly busy and the residents seem to leave for work at different times since I do not see a lot of cars when I leave in the morning which is usually at 8:00. So I was wondering what precipitated the construction of the speed bumps and since our attendance to the HOA meetings was virtually nil, we had no information on what projects our dues were being spent. At first, the paranoid in me sowed some seeds of suspicions and guilt with its annoying whispers: "It's because of you. They've seen how you drive".

I have nothing against speed bumps. In fact, I think there are merits to having them...for others, at least. As for me, their construction did not have any effect on my driving habits. I drove through them in the same speed that gained me some unsavory names from those who had the misfortune of riding with me as I navigated the street corners without slowing down as if the brakes suddenly became obsolete. One time, my terrified husband called me the "M" word..."maniac"... while trying to hold on for dear life! I just laughed like crazy to justify the name. Speed bumps are good and one of these days, when I'm not in a hurry, I'll learn what they are for. Till then, if anybody wants to ride with me, here's the caveat: Hang on! After all, they're called, Speed Bumps!

1 comment:

  1. Haha! That is funny what grandpa called you!

    ReplyDelete